Position: Public Relations Intern
Reports to: Public Relations Advisor
Employment Status: Temporary (Intern), Winter 2018/Spring 2019
Hours: Part-time; 10-20+ hours per week
Compensation: $12/hour; Potential for school credit – see school academic advisor for details. Parking is not compensated; interns to provide their own computer
Kane Communications Group works closely with executives to develop organizational communication frameworks and strategies that define brands, build reputations and inspire business results. We conduct research, design communication infrastructures and develop strategic communications plans. And we implement our recommendations; which may include brand and marketing campaign development; public, media and community relations; events; social and digital marketing; and more.
As a small and growing firm, each member of our team puts their multiple talents and expertise to work and has the opportunity to be involved in shaping the future of the business. Kane is seeking a well-rounded, highly professional, organized individual to join our team as a Public Relations Intern.
The Kane Communications Group Public Relations Intern will have the opportunity to get hands on with a variety of PR projects – from employee communications and events to media relations, social media, marketing, content development and video production. The Kane intern will learn how to ask questions to define successful outcomes for communications projects, measure results, develop media lists and manage deadlines. The intern must have excellent communication skills, demonstrate creativity, understand the importance of attending to even the smallest details, be comfortable working on deadline and operate and dress professionally. The intern must be comfortable asking questions and be ready to learn by doing.
- Develop content for newsletters, websites and social media
- Conduct interviews, write articles, talking points, key messages and more
- Conduct media research on reporters, topics and trends
- Write press releases, pitches and talking points
- Identify story angles and create interview preparation materials
- Prepare and submit media reports
- Create or update databases and media lists
- Develop a knowledge of Cision (tool for media relations) to build media lists, track relationships and coverage
- Assist with planning and implementation of special events including, but not limited to: press conferences, meetings, speaking engagements
- Represent Kane Communications Group at various functions, including networking events
- Other duties as assigned
- Applicants must have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Applicants must be a junior or senior majoring in Public Relations, Communications or Journalism.
- Applicants should be proficient in Google Docs and Sheets (or MS Office equivalent).
- Applicants should be familiar with AP Style and be able to apply it within PR tactics.
- Applicants must be available to work between 10 – 20+ hours per week between hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. (flexible).
- Applicants must have their own laptop and transportation.
- Applicants should be available to start in November and be able to work through May 2019
Job location: 250 E. Wisconsin, Suite 1200, Milwaukee, WI 53202
To apply: Submit a resume, cover letter and three writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 31, 2018.